View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #50
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlos55 View Post
I already have the ARH headers and 3" catback that is designed to attach to the stock axleback. I love the Borla S sound and I really want a 3" axleback to connect to what I already have. Can ya hook me up or am I SOL?
ARH to a 3" catback to stock axle-back? Alright, I'll try and help you here.

Catback and Axleback are terms for two different types of exhaust systems. If you have a catback, that goes from the cats all the way back through the muffler and tailpipes. An axle-back is only the mufflers and tail pipes. Thus, the two systems have overlapping components, and you wouldn't connect an axle-back to a catback. What I'll assume you have, with this in mind, is an ARH longtube header set with a 3" mid-pipe (x-pipe, in the case of the ARH system). That X-Pipe, while 3", will bolt up to the stock axle-back system, however, which means that it has a stepped grade at the end up the pipe to make it 2.5", which is the stock axle-back size. In this case, any Borla axle-back exhaust system should bolt up directly to your ARH long-tune set, and any slight issues of variance in length can easily be handled by a muffler shop. That being said, there are a number of axle-back systems available that will work for you, however none of them are 3" systems. Borla only offer the 3" Sport system in a full cat-back exhaust, which would give you true 3" piping all the way back, but which also includes an X-Pipe that would have to replace your current X-Pipe. In doing this, you'd ultimately end up with an extra, unnecessary, mid-pipe component piece, thus you'd be paying more for something you don't ultimately need. I suggest you find an axle-back system, such as the S-Type or ATAK (my personal favorite), that works in sound and tone for you and install that.
Make sense?
Thanks,
Matt
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote