View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #26
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Hey Danhr, right now I'm trapping anywhere from 130-132 mph. I'm staring to wonder if some lower gears may be of signifigant help. Off the line and down the strip. 3.45's or 3.70's?

It seems that with any gear other than the stock 3.27's I will be shifting into 5th. With the 3.45's max speed in 4th is 133mph. Thats right where I am at currently and with the 3.73 the max speed in 4th is 123mph. Thats def not going to work.
ummm if I remember your dyno sheet correctly, you keep making power until 6700 or so rpm. That means you should be shifting/redlining around 7000 rpms.

So for you, the max trap speed of a 3.45 gear is 147 mph
3.73 gear is 136 mph.

A couple "special" things about your setup though

A) You are running a bias ply tire. Bias ply tires are known to "grow" on the top end of the track, since they have soft sidewalls and the higher speed. So your 28" tall tire, is going to be more like a 28.4ish tall tire by the time it crosses the traps. The faster your wheel goes, the taller it will get.

B) With most forced induction, they sometimes perform better with less gear, because the motor works better when it has more of a load on it. Well at least I know this to be true with turbochargers, I don't know about superchargers.

With that being said, I can't give an honest opinion on what should perform the best. That would be something to bring up with Ted... maybe he has a better answer than me. I know if it was me, I would be throwing a set of 3.73's in there, when you do the differential bushings. That's just me though...

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote