View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I'd be up for a mild hybrid Camaro. In fact I think that system should be standard on most GM cars. My only concern is that from what I think I know about how it works, I don't think you can get a manual with it.
Sure you can!

This system is one of my favorites Because I really don't have to think to hard to understand how it works.

It's really only a beefed up Alternator, coupled to a big battery. The engine shuts down on low-speed deceleration (i.e. pulling into a parking space, stoplight, or your driveway), and then starts it right back up again the instant the accelerator is pressed. Now, with Li-ion batteries, this will extend the Hybrid's capability and allow for 5mph speeds on all-electric power, like driving down your driveway, or through a parking lot...It doesn't have anything to do with Manual vs Auto transmission.

Well....except for the starting up part. I hadn't thought of that...though, it wouldn't be much different from any other start from 0 in a manual. You'd press the gas to start 'er up, and lightly ease in with the clutch, right?

Here's a hot-link to GM's writeup of the Aura/Malibu/Vue Hybrid system.
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...08_LAT_Car.doc