View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
Mormegil

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/07 Silverado 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I have to say, I agree with the gas tax. They do it in Europe, and it's works for a reason.

How much gas did we use when it went to 4.00 a gallon? LESS than the year before. That was unpresidented. If the government truly wants the country to lower it's oil dependancy in the SHORT term, the only proven way to do that is to make it undesireable through taxes...

Interfering in corporate policy and telling companies what to make doesn't work -- because it drives up vehicle costs, and screws with the consumer....either way, WE are going to pay - and frankly, I'd rather have my money used effectively.

Heck, maybe we might pay off some of our debt in the meantime.
Does this mean that you did no bitching whatsoever when oil cost $150 a barrel? I don't think so.
The reason we are paying less than $2 a gallon now is because the oil market was driven artificially high by speculative investors hoping to make a quick buck by the ever rising price of oil. The market collapsed (you yourself claim this in your post) and here we are with $45/barrel. What is to prevent the market from doing the same thing when the government wants to make a quick buck? Nothing. The same thing will happen that did this summer. People will have to spend more of their income on fuel, and money that could be spent elsewhere will go to support an artificial marketplace.
Mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote