View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Forget drilled, the holes aren't needed for much unless you want rotors with built-in places for cracks to start at. Which would be most likely to happen in the budget-level appearance-oriented drilled stuff. Just slotted seems to be OK, but I honestly feel that the slots are better for giving grit a place to get scraped off into than anything and is really more of a street appearance benefit.

If you get hooked, you'll eventually want bigger/better brakes as you move up, but with 14"/14.4" stuff commonly available because of the V8 cars there's not as much reason to go aftermarket. Centric probably makes plain rotors in those sizes. Keep in mind that brakes become consumables, and spending extra money for "pretty" won't make them or the pads last any longer.

Here's the tech inspection sheet that my home track (NJMP) uses for its own events, and it is probably representative. Other organizations such as cornerspeed's Speed Ventures, Track Daze, or Hooked On Driving may have a few different items or slightly different judging criteria for things like remaining pad thickness, so check with your organization. The emphasis is on having a safe, reliable car, not a fast one.

I tend to bleed mine closer to right before an event than right after one.

Norm
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NJMP-Tech-Form-2014.pdf (135.0 KB, 116 views)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote