View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sick_eg View Post
I would say if you're not hearing anything, then it's most likely nothing to be worried about. I do oil samples all the time, and cars simply aren't setup to do proper sampling. Generally, you'd want a sterile sample point. One which would allow you to run some oil out of said sample point for a short amount of time to make sure there were no contaminants in the sample line to make sure you're truly seeing what is in the oil.

How was the oil sample taken? Ideally, the car should be up to temperature and the oil should be as well. Not ideal for an oil change, but it will be the most accurate way to sample. Make sure the surrounding area around the drain plug is clean. Wait until the pan is about 1/4 empty during draining until you start to take your sample. Taking it when first pulling your plug will not provide the most accurate sample.

If you were having lifter/cam issues, you would hear it. A chirp/squealing noise is a telltale sign.
Thanks man, I did take it out of an oil change. Straight from the plug, probably pretty early on when it was draining. I believe the engine was warm, but probably not up to temp.

No sounds, no problems, just trying to be proactive to see if anything is going wrong.