View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
I installed my longer Hurst replacement handle today; part #538-7238. What a difference 2.5" of additional leverage makes. Of course, the throw is slightly longer with the longer stick, but now it moves in and out of the gear positions with notably less effort.

The gear engagement remains as positive and precise as it was previously with the shorter stick. As you can see in the photos, the ball is higher, but it's still comfortable. It looks a little old school that way and I like it. Anyone here remember Big Daddy Roth and the shifters depicted in his art work?

To sum up my opinion, the original shorter stick would unquestionably be better suited for competition driving, while this longer replacement stick is ideal for, all around street, and recreational driving. I was willing to trade a little throw for less shifting effort and I got what I bargained for. Despite, the longer throw, I did a couple of 1st-2nd full throttle power shifts with ease.

At 103 lbs, my wife struggled with the harder shifting short stick. She is going to be happy now. I have a smooth Hurst shifter, a S/C Camaro, and a happy wife...life is good.

Thank you Hurst for the great customer service and thank you Kenji at Hurst for your personal involvement and suggested solution.

Alfie

PS: I have a "new-in-the-box" MGW shifter for sale (a fine unit in it's own right). PM me if you are interested.

Alfie!!
Going to call you Herman Munster now, that stick reminds me of thier car when the show came on, LOL It's pretty tall, I like leaning my elbow on the console. that stick wouldn't work for me.
=Bobby