View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #35
rayainsw

Drives: G8 GT\Corvette Coupe [ gone ]
low 40s to well into the 50s?

I have read every post here now – and I find the opinions \ speculation interesting.

Clearly my ‘estimates’ are on the low end of those posting. A few more thoughts \ clarifications of where my $$ numbers came from – FWIW. [ Again, I could be very wrong here. ]

My impression is that the S/C 6.2L V8 is fairly well established as the motor. And if an automatic trans. is offered, it will be the 6L90.

Thus, compared to the Mustang repeatedly mentioned here, this is a [ relatively ] ‘off-the-shelf’ drivetrain, with development & significant production volume already in place for the CTS-v. I think that this should allow a lower cost than a roughly equivalent HP \ TQ V8 developed & sold only in one low volume package.

The upgrade from the ‘normal’ CTS to the CTS-v [ again, just under $10K ] includes a change from a 3.6L V6 [ essentially the Camaro’s ‘base’ motor – at just over 300 HP ] all the way to the S/C V8. Where in the Camaro, the ‘normal’ top of the line drivetrain is already a 400+ HP 6.2L V8. Again, this leads me to believe that GM can hold the cost difference to less than the CTS to CTS-v difference.

And GM has shown a willingness, with the CTS-v, to price their top line Performance \ Sport Sedan aggressively, compared to competition such as the BMW M5.

Combined with the [ my guess here, again ] lack of MagRide for a Z28 and the other points I mentioned, I believe that the price increase could be held to less than $10K over a 2SS = $34K.
Thus, my guess is still $43K – ish. Base.

I have book marked this thread, and in 2 years I will see how clear my crystal ball was . . .

We shall see.
- Ray
Hoping I am right – but acknowledging that I may not be . . .
rayainsw is offline   Reply With Quote