View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
I will be glad to talk about "Glory days", I worked at a "Service Station" when I was in high school. Every car that pulled up to the pump was greeted by me, I pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, and offered to check your oil and tires. Get this, during a price war locally, we sold regular gasoline for 19.9 cents/gallon.
At 15, I worked 60 hours a week for $1.15/hour while going to school. I bought a '55 Chevy Bel-Air as my first car with my money. Not a cent provided by my parents. Before I turned 17, I got the chance to buy a '69 Camaro from a neighbor going through a divorce, it only had break-in miles on it and I was the happiest kid in the world, again paid for 100% with money I earned.
My buddies all set about to get themselves a Camaro after I got mine, and our senior year at school we all had Camaros and parked them in a row at school. One of my buddies was a spoiled rotten "only child" and his parents bought him a "Baldwin Motion" Camaro. Very few who read this will even know what a "Baldwin Motion" Camaro is, briefly: Take a stock Camaro @ $3,200, then put a 427 aluminum block fire breathing motor in it, Muncie Trans, Posi-rear end, subframe connectors, etc. for the add-on price of $4,000! Total cost $7,200, sound cheap but in those days it would be the same as paying $32,000 for a new car and adding $40,000 in add-on equip for a total of $72,000.
We all did engine builds and boy did we have fun with those cars. Getting pulled over by the cops was a frequent occurence, and street racing was commonplace. Today you would need a lawyer to keep you out of jail for the stuff we did back then. My how times have changed.
I was lucky enough to live in the "Muscle Car" era, where the cars you pass daily would be:Nova, Chevelle, Camaro, GTX, GTO, Superbird, SuperBee, Mustang, Cuda, Challenger, etc. Those were the days for car lovers!
BDBiker is offline   Reply With Quote