View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
there is a link around here somewhere showing how a caddy with the same engine got another 40 hp at the wheels with just an Intake, tune, and catback. That's probably going to be similar to the camaro. I'm sure there will be a ton of stuff offered from everyone and I'm really interested in seeing how SLP will get back into the game. SEMA will be a sight to behold for sure
Wow... really? 40whp off of just an intake, tune and cat-back huh? That's impressive and seems to indicate that the 3.6L DI VVT V6 has potential, and that's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Evidence points to the Cobalt SS turbo being faster than the Camaro LS. The Cobalt has less weight and more aerodynamics to give it an advantage. At the same time, the Camaro is more responsive to modifications than the Cobalt. The Camaro style cannot be matched in the Cobalt.

The pricing will be very close for both cars, but expect add-ons to bring the price of the Camaro above the Cobalt.

It's good to have another compact owner considering stepping up to the pony class.
Right. I know stock for stock the Cobalt SS/TC will perform better than the Camaro V6, it weighs almost 600lbs less, is smaller, and probably has a better power/weight ratio.

As far as aftermarket potential goes, after doing such mods like a down-pipe, cat-back, HP tuners, CAI, intercooler upgrade, people are getting 300whp 350wtq. Soon turbo upgrades will be offered for the Cobalt and it'll see gains as high as the the mid to high 300's in HP & Torque. Granted those are probably approaching the limits of the stock internals, and good luck getting anywhere near that to the ground with FWD, where FWD cars really are at a disadvantage hooking up with all that power.

Now seeing that the Cobalt is seeing its last year or two or production before the Cruze replaces it there may not be too many more mods coming out for it seeing that it ceases production soon.

Even if the Camaro is slightly slower stock vs the Cobalt SS like I said the fact that it's RWD, 10x better interior compared to a Cobalt, and ultimate performance potential makes it worth the initial sacrifice in performance... (unless I get a SS...)

And seeing that the Camaro as Feb of 09 will be seeing its re-birth and new beginning I'm sure there will be plenty aftermarket performance for it as there were with the previous gen Camaros...

Thank you. I'm definitely planning on upgrading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I don't think in terms of handling they will be similar. That goes without saying
Well consider this. The Camaro SS lapped the Nurburgring in 8.20 seconds... The Cobalt SS Turbocharged lapped it in 8.22 seconds... The FWD 4cyl Cobalt only was two seconds slower than the V8 Camaro... Granted the Cobalt SS/TC is an abnormal little car and the FE3 suspension helps, but ultimately especially on a track RWD > FWD.

I think with time when the aftermarket industry starts offering a lot for the Camaro I think I'll have made the right decision by switching from the Cobalt to the Camaro...

Thanks for your comments so far!