View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Not a bad list, just a few thoughts. I think value is a key point here (although Ward's doesn't necessarily agree). Obviously, if you put a lot of expensive technology in an engine, it is easier to make more power in a better overall package. You say the Nissan motor is more impressive than the GM 3.6L LLT, but look at how much more you have to pay to get one. About 6-8k more, and that is in a car with 2 less seats, or a FWD maxima (which is still around 30k). And all the European engines you mentioned, they are certainly good products, but what do you have to spend to get one?

The fuel economy part has a lot to do with the vehicle and gearing, not only the engine, so that comparison is a little off. The LS3 is the G8 GXP is not less efficient, the car is just setup for a different experience, and mileage suffers for it.

As for the Cobalt, that makes no business sense, as very few people shop for that range of cars based on hp, so no way would it generate enough new sales. They would either have to raise the price significantly or take a big loss on each car, and I don't think many Cobalt buyers would know the difference. Not only that, but anybody who wants a Corolla would buy one anyway.

One last thought, when you look at engines, such as the 190 hp I4 honda, peak numbers don't really tell the whole story. It feels more like about 90 hp. The same way the GM 304hp LLT can't keep up with a 300hp mustang, it is power under the curve that matters most, not just the advertising number attained.