View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #42
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
I keep seeing folks wanting a convertible ZL1 and auto transmission, and other comfort features. Now I'm certainly not an expert on this here, but in my reading about performance cars I understand that speed and handling is definitely impacted by the design of a convertible . Not having a solid roof structure causes the car to flex improperly on take-off and reduces handling as well as speed. A true performance machine should only have a solid roof structure. And I'm not really sure that an automatic transmission would be the best thing on a high-torque machine either. My preference is DEFINITELY manual.

Can't wait for this beast to be produced and to get a test drive! After driving a manual 2SS, it's almost impossible for me not to spring for one right now and then trade up to the ZL1 when it's released.

Automatics have come a long way since the 70's and 80's when I was driving both types of transmissions the last being an 87 grand national
which only came in an automatic. Only had a 3.8 liter engine but was
turbo charged and a very quick car for the times.

For me personally I'll be 57 when I get my car next year, and although I can appreciate manual transmissions, I'm at the point that I would like
an automatic to be an option. If they add a couple thousand, I would be
willing to pay for the conveince. I believe GM would really sell alot more ZL1's if they offered an automatic transmission.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote