View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
ParkerB57
COTW 11/12/12

Drives: 1SS RS IBM
Turbonetics guys dont waste your money!!

So sense installing the kit at the end of July I have had the car dyno tuned by two different shops. I was a DUMMY and never simply had a base line done with the Turbonetics canned tune.

$500 charge number 1
The first place did a custom tune and the car made 515whp and 515wtq, however the dyno graph was wavy from losing spark up top.

$550 charge number 2
Took it to another shop to have them fix the waviness in the tune and the car made 620whp and 580wtq. The guy changed the stock plugs to msd plug wires. However he also turned off all the knock sensors and tuned the car to run a 12.0-12.5 AFR which he swore was just fine, and to go "hang her guts out at the track."

Well I didn’t trust this tune at all not to mention the terrible job they did putting on my pedders suspension so I luckly got most of my money back when i discovered the terrible work and the unsafe tune.

$300 charge number 3
Mike Norris got his lab top out and did a quick and dirty tune on the mobile dyno at the Camaro fest to make the car safe enough and be able to run the autoX and drag. The car made 490whp and 500wtq.

SO I get to Colorado and I find a great shop and setup a baseline dyno tune. The car was still knocking a bit at the top end so I changed to a slightly colder plug then came with the Turbonetics kit. At the shop today before I put it on the dyno I uploaded the Turbonetics tune back into the car.

Threw it on the dyno and it made 512whp 532wtq. This is on 91 octane, 91F, 23.91 in-Hg, 5% humidity and over 6000 feet of altitude. The graph is super smooth and the car feels great again. Only mods to factory Turbonetics kit is colder plugs and msd plug wires.

I feel like a giant idiot for not trusting the Turbonetics tune and at lease seeing what it could do.

Take my word for it if your NOT looking for crazy amounts of power, just simple awesome super reliable fun, don’t waste your money on the paying for a tune.

Just my opinion

Ben