Thread: IRON X
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I have it, but I haven't got to using it :/ I still don't know what Ironx would be able to do that clay isn't able to do...
If you had used it, you would definitely see what it does. Very worthwhile product

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Send a pm to CamaroDreams07. He's used it before
Did somebody call..?

yes, I have used this product many times, and I really like it. It's a step I use after claying and before polishing. So, basically what it does is it reacts with iron contaminants, and pulls them out of the paint (it's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist). You don't want ferrous substances inside your paint, rusting and corroding the paint from the inside.

What happens is that this stuff turns purple as it reacts with iron. You can actually see it working. How much or how little depends on a lot of things: how new the car is, what it's been exposed to, how well it's been taken care of, etc etc.

Here are a few pics of Iron X at work on a 2009 Lincoln MKX that the customer has kept in a garage the whole time they've owned it. Keep in mind, this is after I had washed and clayed the whole car:

Name:  IMG_0531_640x480.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0459_640x480.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0461_640x480.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0462_640x480.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  79.3 KB

That's pretty dramatic for what was a 3 year old, garage-kept car that was already in very nice condition.

The basic process is pretty simple. First and foremost: WORK IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. This stuff smells like two week old death in the Arizona sun, you don't want it getting on anything. WEAR NITRILE GLOVES. OK, so then, you've clayed the car and removed all the residue, now get a bucket of clean water, a detailing sponge, and your Iron X. Working a section at a time, mist Iron X on the panel and rub it in with a damp sponge. Allow it to dwell a few minutes, but don't let it dry. You'll see the change as it changes color. Rinse very thoroughly. This stuff is no-nonsense and you don't want to leave any of it on the paint.

Rinse out the sponge between panels. Let it be noted that some people like to use Iron X before clay on cars that are in really rough shape. My personal take is to use it after clay, because the claying action actually can expose more iron.