View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #291
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
No red light... R/T was .130. Red light would have been a negative number like -.130..
Actually a perfect light is .500, unless you run a pro tree. That was my understanding.

From staginglight.com......

If the driver reacts the very instant he sees the green light, what will his reaction time be? The green light comes on at .500 seconds on the reaction timer, so we have:
Green Light: .500
DRT: .210
+ VRT: .320
------------------
The best reaction time our driver will get is over a second! This will certainly put him on the trailer early. Let's use a different light as a signal. The next logical choice is to use the third amber.
Amber III: .000
DRT: .210
+ VRT: .320
-------------------
Hey, that's a pretty good reaction time... but how do you get a quicker reaction time, or even a red-light? We have been assuming that our minds filter out other signals. If there were only one amber, with no previous signals, a .530 light would indeed be the best our driver could get. That isn't all he sees, though. He also sees the first and second amber, which makes (or allows) us to anticipate the third light, whether we realize it or not. I am lucky in that my mind seems to assimilate the first two lights in such a way that I anticipate the third bulb by .01-.03 seconds faster! This allows me to hit fairly consistent .5-oh and .5-teen lights. A little more talent, perception, and/or tuning of the car may be needed to change the VRT and DRT for drivers that react differently, or for faster or slower cars, etc.
Toyaholic is offline   Reply With Quote