View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #36
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1hawk View Post
I can't believe some of these responses. The name calling about leaving keys in a car. Why can't someone leave THEIR keys in THEIR car without someone stealing it? It's not the owner's fault because some scumbag doesn't understand and follow life's simple rules.
Hate to burst your perfect world bubble but its the world we live in. Sadly if you give someone an inch, they'll want a mile and this guy took it for longer than that in that guy's Camaro.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I NEVER EVER leave either of my cars running even if I go in somewhere for a second even in my neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
Depends on the encryption level of the signal, and a host of other factors.

Is it possible to hack? I'm sure it is. Just about anything is possible. But if it was as easy as the "tin-hatters" might lead you to believe, there'd be a host of lawsuits and news reports by now. OnStar has had this feature on lots of GM cars for quite a while now.

Remember that there is a huge difference to what is Possible to do, and what is Probable to do.
This for sure, judging by a lot of the necessary feed processes going on just to do a simple call to OnStar from your car. I'm sure there is a mess of encryption just to bring up the option to disable your car's acceleration or even unlock it. For those who use the app to unlock your doors, just look at the time delay. That's not just network delay there is a lot going on between your phone, the server(s) and the computer in your car.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote