View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
I can tell you with certainty that any rear wheel drive coupe is terrible in the snow.....I don't care if it has traction control, what kind of tires it has, etc....
My Fieros have all been champions in the snow. They were all also rear wheel drive coupes.

Also, I'd like to corroborate some of what others have stated here:

1: 16? First car? Seriously man, drive it like you're a 65-year-old retiree all summer. Go buy an old pickup for winter driving. I know the last thing you want to hear is someone older than you tell you what to do, how to drive, WHAT to drive, but you're going to wreck your first car in the snow. Maybe sooner. Wouldn't you rather it be a 1984 Ford Ranger with speed holes and not your beloved camaro?
2: I get sick to death of the "RWD=crap snow car" crowd. My 77 firebird formula with no positraction went everywhere my buddy's Infiniti G20 went. Further in some cases. You can't just make a knee-jerk statement that blankets everything. With the advanced stability and traction control systems these cars have standard on even the LS, they will be a far cry from my old Firebird. Use some conventional wisdom like someone already said by putting winter tires on it with some extra weight in the trunk and you will have a fairly solid winter runner. That being said...
3. Driving well is a skill. Driving well in the winter is an entirely different skill set. No tips can help, you've just got to learn it by feel. Just remember, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
4. Most importantly, life is too short to drive boring cars! Front drive is totally overrated as a snow-friendly layout. Engine over drive wheels is not the panacea to the low-traction conditions of winter. There are many things about RWD snow dynamics which I MUCH prefer to FWD, oversteer versus understeer the most primary among them.

Do what you want, man, but don't wreck your new camaro, I implore you!
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote