View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
thor48

Drives: CTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
Did Onstar tell you why they would not dispatch police to your collision which occurred on private property?

If Florida law is anything like California, the vehicle code is NOT your friend while driving on private property, including retail lots which are open to the public. Only a handful of vehicle laws can be enforced (DUI, reckless driving in retail lots,unlicensed/suspended drivers). In California, Stop sign and speed limits posted in private lots mean NOTHING. They are not enforceable and the police can't find someone at fault in a crash for ignoring them. There is no right of way and and nobody has to yield to anyone else. A car backing out of a stall does not have to yield to another vehicle passing behind them.

In CA, police will typically take collision reports on private property only when there is physical injury. Nonetheless, insurance companies look at these as 50/50 shared fault unless your vehicle is PARKED and unoccupied at the time of the collision. Driving in parking lots is risky. Pay your insurance. Too many of the other guys are uninsured.
This slays me. Private property my A**. If a person walks into a bank with a pistol and sticks up a private company - it is still a crime. Know what I mean. I get tired of hearing this crap. I mean are we the "UNITED STATES" or not! What is the difference between a STOP SIGN in Florida and a STOP SIGN in California = about 3,000 miles - that's it. I think the legal system allows such crap to CYA themselves and the insurance companies and nothing else. We need to make our elected officials get the laws right to protect "US". These differences in driving laws state to state are just dumb. A stop light is a stop light and a dumb a** is a dumb a** - regardless of state or nationality.
thor48 is offline   Reply With Quote