View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #43
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
I found a set of tires at tirerack for $896.00 or $224.00 each

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

The tires were cheaper than I thought they would be. More popular too. They range from $224 each to $500ish each.
That's great, you saved some money on tires.

They'll be slower of course- smaller section width and tread width vs Trofeo. Review what a "contact patch" is.

They are 200 treadwear rating (not 140, read the fine print), so you'll be saving money there too...as you point by everyone else running on Trofeo's. In the paddock you can brag how you saved a few hundred dollars and explain that's why your lap times are so slow. Review why F1 cars run different rubber compounds and the pros/cons of each.

Oh yeah, forget the savings after all because you'll die or be horribly injured when they explode on track at the end of the high-speed straight, they have a W speed rating. The family of the passenger riding with you at the time, who also died or was maimed will then sue you (or your estate) for your negligence of installing sub-standard tires which resulted in the crash.

Homework grade D+

But you did save money until it all turned to sh*t

An application specific car will necessarily be compromised for anything other than what it was designed for. One of those "compromises" will be tire choice. All else being equal, stickiest rubber and the biggest contact patch sets the fastest lap times. A Y speed rating is simply unconscionable to compromise on.

I'm only cracking your balls because it is important for buyers to be crystal clear about the choices they are making and the ramifications of those choices

You want a high-performance car, don't cheap-out on high performance tires. Choices currently limited to:

Pirelli Trofeo R (OE and the best street-legal tracking tire that money can buy)

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
Dunlop Sport Maxx Race
Pirelli P Zero Corsa System
Suck but possible- R888
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote