View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #49
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Don't get caught up in the hype or the greedy dealer speculation...there will I think, be plenty of ZL1 to go around......
I don't see more than about 500 units being required for 2012.
You forget the potential of manipulated demand. Let's just say for a minute you have 500 lined up with a deposit. "Oh, sorry, we're only going to make, um, 425 of them." All of a sudden, there's this manufactured demand. People fearing they won't get one will try and buy one immediately. Thus supporting the dealer markups (not directly, but it always happens on high demand cars). If you control your supply to just less than demand, they will sell. And for whatever a dealer wants most likely. And regardless if they were flow through or not, there will be markups somehwere. And some dumba** will oblige. Because they don't know about waiting. If you pay over MSRP for a car you want that, assuming they'll make enough to go around, you either have way too much money or way to little financial sense to know what you're doing.

And don't forget the ones that bite off more than they can chew. I'll bet dimes to donuts that within the first year, you'll see 1 or more ZL1s for sale on this forum. You could get yours slightly used and save some $$ too.

At some point, no matter the car, saturation levels come and the dealer markups go away. Those "gotta have it firsters" usually end up getting fisted but if they don't mind, I don't mind. I'm not one that has to have something right away, so I'll wait and save thousands. It isn't like it's a primary car (or shouldn't be). So the purchase will be a calculated one.

Rule one: Don't believe everything you hear from GM brass. They simply want you to buy one of their cars. It's how they make their bread and butter. Whatever they say that day could change tomorrow because they're only able to say what they know up to that point. Nothing wrong with that, but the bean counters get involved then things can get squirrely.

Nobody knows for sure how many will sell because there's so many variables. I remember discussions that bean counters said the ressurection of the 5th gen Camaro needed 80K units to be viable. Looks like that gamble paid off. Blew that out of the water.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote