View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile Installing light pipe

So now you have both LED’s installed and working with the vinyl tubing on the passenger side. Now it is time to work on the light pipe. I had my wife help me hold the tape measure and I measured 34” from the left passenger LED to the right passenger LED. I then measured 34” on the light pipe and cut it with a dremel. I then installed the light pipe to the LED’s, by pushing it into the vinyl tubing on the LED (remember). Now the LED’s will shine down the light pipe and you will see it all the way across. In the photo below, I turned the reflective strip towards me to take the photo of the whole light pipe lit up.

Now, I did not sand my panels so I won’t push the panel all the way back in. To get the light to reflect on the dash you need to turn the reflective strip to shine up and out behind the trim panel. If you do not do this, the light will not shine up behind it. You’ll find that the back of the white reflective strip will be pointed towards the engine. I then pushed my trim panel back on about 3/4 of the way. This allows the light to shine up behind it and onto the dash. It only sticks out 2-3 mm and does not look out of place, etc. You will probably have to put back on and remove the trim panel a couple of times to get the reflective strip to point in the right direction.

I’ll give you some words of caution. When you turn the light tube to point the reflective strip in another direction, etc., hold the vinyl tubing with your finger and clinch tight. If you don’t, when you twist the light tube, since the vinyl tubing is connected to the LED, it will eventually break off the LED. I broke two LED’s doing this. Again, make sure you hold the vinyl tubing from twisting while you’re twisting the light pipe.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote