View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
67ss&99ss
Andy

Drives: a few muscle cars
A high volume pump means you are moving more oil with the same oil pump speed. If you do not have a larger than stock oil pan it makes no sense to have a high volume pump. You can actually pump the pan dry in some instances.

A high pressure pump has a stiffer spring on the pressure relief valve. Thus, the oil pump will generate more oil pressure before the relieve valve opens to maintain a certain pressure. I wouldn't recommend this type of pump either because it can put excessive pressure on main and rod bearings. Newer engines are built to much tighter tolerances and typically hold better oil pressure than older engines. Another problem with high pressure is that it will eat horsepower. Just think about it. Your putting more pressure on your rotating assembly as your rpms are increasing.

I would stick with a stock volume/pressure pump if you have a stock oil pan. This isn't an LS based engine, but I run a melling m-select high volume pump on my 406 small block. Reason being is that I have a 7 quart pan with a windage tray, internal baffling and a trap door in the sump. The pump generates a maximum of 50 psi of oil pressure with valvoline VR1 10w30 oil when the engine is fully warmed up at 180*.

If I were upgrading an LS based engine by doing a cam swap would spend the money solidifying the valve train with a set of roller or shaft mounted rocker arms. You will pick up more horsepower and will reduce the probability of a valve train failure at high rpm.
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|Posi
1999 Camaro SS: Longtubes|True Duals|Lid|LS6|TT2s

67ss&99ss is offline   Reply With Quote