View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I do it to.. not to decrease wear on my brakes, but because of having a leg injury and I can't sit there holding the brake for long periods of time without discomfort. I also pull the parking brake up to avoid rolling. short lights don't phase me, but the long 8 way with left turn lights that take 3-5 minutes, yeah I put it in neutral and pull the brake. But I also watch the signals on the cross street and when it goes yellow I press the brake, but the car in gear and take the parking brake off.. I've also been known to kill the motor at certain lights because I know they are long and only trip when there is a car on the sensor. 2 of those by my work, and I have timed them up to 7 minutes to trip after I have arrived at the signal.. so I kill the motor and save the gas.

I've done it on my last 4 vehicles, and never had and issue, what will hurt the trans is if you do a neutral drop that is put the vehicle in gear while the engine is revving above idle, barring that you will be fine.

It is also advisable to tap the brake as you shift from Neutral to Drive, just on the off chance that the idiot in front of you can't figure out which pedal makes his car move forward and stops short, you don't want to roll into them. It truly amazes me how often I see people goose it then slam the brake when a light changes as if they can't figure out which pedal does what.