View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #282
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
Characteristic my a$$,why is it that my 08 Vette did not have this problem(characteristic),because if it did no one would spend over 40K for a car that ticks at start up.
You and every one else with that attitude(its normal) is letting GM off the hook.With the technology and an R&D department at GM you would think that maybe just maybe someone would come up with a lifter that does not drain down after sitting.
To build a concept and take years to bring it to market,then build it with a defect in the motor is beyond me.You may call it a characteristic,I will still call it a defect.
hrmhrm...

1: Every engine ticks to some degree on cold startup...I'd almost be willing to bet both my kidneys on it.

2: No one's letting GM "off the hook" because...

3: It's NOT a defect. The engine is designed and tested to exceed the 100,000 mile warranty and make craploads of power using minimal gas while getting there. The L99 is unique in that it's lifters are specifically designed (8 of 'em anyways) to collapse when the AFM feature kicks in. I'm not an engineer...so I can't say for certain...but I think that's part of the reason the L99 might do it more.

4: You can call it what you want, the same way I can call the sky yellow...but it doesn't make either of us right.