View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
First of all welcome to the site, you will find more information than you ever thought possible here....

A Automatic transmission can be faster to 60 and in the 1/4.....bottom line. Doesnt matter who says what or what you have heard.

Let me explain the above statment. A auto CAN be faster than a manual if it is tuned right. This would require the correct stall covertor, matched to the cam profile and HP and TQ curves, plus the weight of the car. A shitft kit can make it shift fast and violently, but will get you better times. It is humanly impossible to shift a manual tranny faster than a auto can.

On the flip side of this in 99.9% of street aplications a experianced driver can turn a better ET with a manual.

Unless you are willing to do your homework on stall converters, shift kits and gearing go with the manual.

With a purpose built racing auto the car becomes very un street friendley.
I have a 3800 and it's shift extension is around 5300-5400 between shifts and there is no more lag with the 4L60. I have a good tranny tune and no codes and love driving it. At with 3900 lbs. on the starting line, with no transbrake or anything, I've gotten a best of a 1.6X 60', which would almost be impossible with a manual-equipped car, with similar mods' to mine. Having said that, it isn't nearly as fun as powershifting and rowing through the gears, like my LT1 was, so it depends on if you like shifting for yourself that much or whether or not you can stand traffic, I guess. I haven't driving GM's new sx-speeds yet, but I think you can't loose either way. Auto' trannys are the way to go if you drag race, but they aren't as much fun, and a stick is more fun in every other dicipline.

JMVHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Yeah sticks are fun, I got an auto though since I have alot of stop and go traffic and do get alot of phone calls for work and do not want to worry about shifting.

Compared to my V6 accord coupe and my acura RL this car is going to rock and be very quick even with the auto.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote