View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #96
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
You are VERY RIGHT! I see this and hear of this EVERY DAY!!!

But in the case of an alignment, the "rack" does most of the work (through computers) and lasers...

I big part though of the alignment, is setting up the equipment to "read right" on the car.

Also, considering the Corvette had been in the shop a whopping 20 minutes, I did think the $180.00 was excessive.
A shop cannot do an alignment in 20 minutes. It takes time to put it on the rack, mount the heads and 'calibrate' the vehicle to the computer. That leave about one minute each fro front camber, front toe, castor sweep with another computer rack required set, rear camber and rear toe. Maybe with an assistant and every tool neatly laid out ready to go and every nut and bolt worked exactly like new and the car was in almost perfect alignment to start and required almost no adjustment...

The rack doe not do ANY work. The rack just shows the alignment specs. The work is done by the tech with wrenches and years of experience. It is the technician and NOT the rack that does quality alignment work.

I'll say it again. Communicate to the shop manager what you expect. Find out in advance how you are going to be charged. You will leave the shop with a quality alignment at the price you expected to pay or leave to find another shop.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote