View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
The richmond 3.55 ring and pinion did not fit my LFX rear!!!! I bet they probably did not even look at a lfx differential before slapping a 2010 and up label on it.
Quote:
I am positive there is a carrier break and that they are two series. When they switch to the 2.92 on the A6 v6 they changed carriers as well.
Quote:
2012 a6 have 2.92 to help get 30mpg rating
Quote:
Obviously they did not do the r and d on the 2012 lfx model and I am out 500 dollars to have my old gears taken out and put right back in for no reason..

These gears should work on 10-11's 12's went to a 2.92 for a better mpg rating.
Quote:
2012-13 automatics have a 7.6IRS rear differential with a 2.92 gear ratio. All 2012 and 2013 automatics have the 2 series carrier that does not work with the richmond ring and pinion set.
I think some clarification is in order here.

I don't know anything about carriers, but the 2.92 gears are NOT in EVERY 2012+ V6 automatic. They are only in the 2LS.

2.92 gearing has nothing to do with the car having an LFX motor or being a 2012 or newer model year. It has to do with it being a 2LS, which is a trim level that was introduced late in the 2011 model year run.

Again, I don't know if the carrier issue is 2LS specific, or if they changed the carrier on all 2012 and newer automatics, but the 2.92 gearing is specific to the 2LS, which has been available since the 2011 model year, when the car still had the LLT engine.

If it can be determined that the 2LS has a change to its carrier that affects the compatibility with aftermarket gears, that's something I'd like to add to the 2LS sticky: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307690
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote