View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
FightingScallion

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT "Kaylee"
I used this to do my own swap-out yesterday. Just wanted to throw in a few extra thoughts for people. None are necessary; just notes I made while doing this.

Additional Tools:
Flashlight (for seeing in the wheel well)
Needle-nose Pliers
Scissors/Knife (for cutting zip ties)
Zip Ties

Step 3: Those bolts are 10mm.

Step 6: The first bolt is a 10mm.

Step 10: These bolts are 7mm. For the inside bottom bolt, you'll definitely want an extension.

This is pretty obvious (if you aren't me): Do steps 5 through 7 for one side, then turn your wheel and do 5 through 7 on the other side. Otherwise, you'll do what I did and have to turn the wheel every step. Yeah, I didn't think that through.

Steps 6 and 7: You are pulling the plastic of the wheel well back to do this. The pictures will make a lot more sense when you start looking in there.

Installing new headlights: I used needle-nose pliers to get the bottom inner bolt for the lights (the one you need the extension for). There's a gap between the tube and the actual bolt hole which is almost large enough to get the bolt in. If you turn the bolt a little bit, you can actually work it into the hole so that you can set the socket driver on there pretty easily.

I don't know about you guys, but I used a couple of additional zip ties to fix the wire harness that runs to the driver-side headlight.

Thanks for the DIY Guide. Without it, I'm not sure I'd have been brave enough to give this one a go. Took me about 3.5 hours to do (with no assistance). If I were going to do it again, I expect it would take me 2 hours or less (I spent a lot of time in those wheel wells trying to find things, taking pictures, and the like).
FightingScallion is offline   Reply With Quote