View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sorry to throw a wrench in the gears here(no pun intended), but GM has changed the Manual VS Auto argument with their 6L80 paddle shifter tranny...

I plan on getting this, though only time will tell. But with the 6L80, you get the best, if not better of both worlds. When you want it, you get the convience and easy-shifting of an Auto. But when you need it, you click into Sport/paddle mode and tap your way past the manuals. Because you get control over when you shift without the time it takes a manual to shift from, say 2nd to 3rd.
I'll try to takle the corner/power issue, too. When in sport mode, the tranny will not upshift to overdrive while cruising, so you get the power you need for coming out of corners. And won't downshift for you unless in danger of stalling...

Odd 6L80 facts in my head:

6L80 is GM's newest 6 speed Automatic transmission, with versatile options including rear-mounting ability with no massive changes, driver shift selection(paddle), and more.
It will last longer than average Autos due to a clutch to clutch operation.
It is built for power with forged innards
Paddle mode gives driver complete control over shifting. Only if danger zones are reached due to driver incompetence, will the tranny shift itself: over-revving, or stalling out.
2007 gets quicker shift response time with the paddles
First gear is a severly steep 4(or so):1 for outstanding off-the-line speed.
2 overdrive gears
6th is .6:1 for amazing top speed potential Vette can cruise 80+ at 2000 rpm's

don't get the idea that I hate manuals, I respect them, A LOT. I've just never driven one, so I don't have the experience to really know what their like (inconvience, performance, etc.) I know what they can do on paper...and this 6L80 blows me away...on paper.
Good find. That is interesting for sure. It's not enough to convince me I'd take an auto over a manual though. But if there are more than an occasional article saying the paddle-shifted car is faster than the rest...well...that's different.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote