Thread: Oil Catch Can
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrautox View Post
The fact is neither of us has any real data showing L10 lifetimes of an LS3 with a CC versus an LS3 without a CC. If you do have this data, and not some long synopsis based on what you've 'seen' and 'learned' over the years, please do share it. Until then, I'm just fine without one. Maybe, in 10 years when the car finally craps out, and the rebuild shows evidence it was caused by oil ingestion I'll be eating my words, but right now I'm good with what GM has originally designed.
An oil analysis will show you if you cared to see what is happening, but I guess you just want to interfere and have no desire to learn or share actual info. I have gone into pretty great detail and will post more pictures for anyone to see if they want, just ask. Your have the right to opinions, but facts and real life hold more credability in my book. And by all means, don't put one on any of your vehicles as its clear your fine with the way it came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Okay I have a couple of questions now that I have installed my catch can.

Oil is obviously getting into the manifold, but why is it pooling on the floor of the manifold and does that mean it is not making it to the runners and into the combustion chamber?

What is the pool of oil doing during acceleration when there is a high vacuum in the manifold?

I do know that burnt oil will leave deposits on the valves and top of the piston which is not good.
The pooled oil is drawn into the combustion chamber and will cause the deposits. We like to clean all the pooled oil out at install time that you can and any small amounts of residue will not make a big differance. The important part is making sure the ingestion is stopped going forward.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote