View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I have thought about this as well - it is possible with some design and safety measure requirements, but i think the cost to develop just outweighs the demand...not a lot of manual cars these days.

I have some ideas on how to accomplish this, but I'm not an engineer so I really don't know the feasibility of my ideas.
The "manual" remote start systems that exist today are just workarounds and really clunky and I would not be interested in one of those, I would want one as seamless as an auto trans.

I'd be happy to share my ideas with some engineers, Number3...but would have to have some sort of confidentiality agreement in place.

Honestly though, even after conceptualizing it through several variants, I just don't think there's a lot of money to be made...unless you could license it to manufacturers, even then...like I said, not many manual cars out there...and the overseas markets that use a lot of manual...well, a luxury like remote start...probably not big demand - Manufacturers are spending their R&D cash elsewhere.

If I could patent it and get a working model in a car with an electronic brake, for say...10K (times 2 or 3 partners)...hmmm...maybe something to risk.

Oh and I think Al O was referencing Line Lock...just my guess.
I don't see how it would take much effort at all. All the parts are there. In my opinion all that's needed is programming. However, if they wanted to be super safe, rig up a contact switch that is only closed by a shifter in the nuetral position for additional safety. That in combination with software recognition of gear position is plenty for me to not be worried.

I think the thought that the manual is a dying breed and the market for a remote start on such a car is too small, is being narrow minded. Also it doesn't quite jive with how they have spent time and money on such a system as Active Rev Matching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Someone would override something and run over someone and they would sue GM. It sucks but that's more than likely the real answer. I've seen this happen more than once with aftermarket remote start systems on manual cars. I'm really bummed because I would love remote start in this desert.
I know what you mean. Someone could hack in a parking brake override to get a head unit to unlock some functionality, but if its set up right that would just disable your remote start feature. So I don't see any useful reason for someone to override a neutral saftey switch feature. If they did I sure don't see how GM would be held responsible. The only way this would be an issue is if they were afraid of their own equipment failing and having some sort of start with the car in gear.