View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I don't see how it would take much effort at all. All the parts are there. In my opinion all that's needed is programming. However, if they wanted to be super safe, rig up a contact switch that is only closed by a shifter in the nuetral position for additional safety. That in combination with software recognition of gear position is plenty for me to not be worried.

I think the thought that the manual is a dying breed and the market for a remote start on such a car is too small, is being narrow minded. Also it doesn't quite jive with how they have spent time and money on such a system as Active Rev Matching.

I know what you mean. Someone could hack in a parking brake override to get a head unit to unlock some functionality, but if its set up right that would just disable your remote start feature. So I don't see any useful reason for someone to override a neutral saftey switch feature. If they did I sure don't see how GM would be held responsible. The only way this would be an issue is if they were afraid of their own equipment failing and having some sort of start with the car in gear.
If the driver is required to leave it in park and with Electronic Brake engaged...I think you are probably right, not that hard to accomplish. The current "Manual" remote start systems today require pretty much the same thing; before the driver exits the car they have to tell it that they want to use remote start next ignition, the idea of adding a safety measure that detects the car is in neutral is good, also eliminate the driver having to go thru 3 or 4 steps prior to turning off would also be a must.

I say a system that requires the driver to do NOTHING at all before getting out and leaving the car parked would be the system I want.