View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #324
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
rear view camera coming out soon

Just got my silver Camaro SS over this past weekend - it didn't have the sensors on it. Dealer offered them as a dealer installed option but I didn't want to take the risk of themn drilling 4 holes in the back - and didn't like the look either.

Dealer just called and said a backup camera system / lcd screen built into the rear view mirror will be available as a dealer installed option middle of November. I believe this is the same system in the Equinox. GM is testing the system right now. This system will just require a small pin hole to be drilled somewhere around the license plate area. The system will cost about $1K installed.

Not sure if either solution is really necessary (not really much different backing up a Camaro than any of the SUVs I've had in the past) but if I was to pick one - I'm thinking that the camera option is a better one if you don't want to mess up the back of your Camaro.

I did also test drive a Camaro with the sensors built in...they do work very effectively but again the dots on the back just don't look great in my opinion - particularly on a lighter colored car.