View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
ntrimm

Drives: 2013 ZL1. Black on Black on Black
This topic has been beat to death over the last few years. a few years back, I was really into tuning and modding my Corvettes (both LS3 and LS7). My local dealer was ok with modding and tuning and I was never denied a warranty claim. In fact my service advisor had replaced two other Z06's engines because of oil starvation during tracking events and these cars were heavily modified and tuned. APEX Chase is correct about the Magnuson Moss act. Im not sure if things have changed as I have been out of the game for about 3-4 years until I just bought my new ZL1 (I haven't modded and tuned yet)? But back then, I was using EFI Live for tuning and I will share what my tuner did and told me. The computers on the cars use a Checksum system with CVN's (Calibration Verification Numbers) When GM produces a car they have a certain CVN that is embedded into the computer in the car and into GM's systems. Each system has a part # and CVN #, and these all have to match what is on the website i provided below. What I was told is, As long as those CVN's matched, then GM could not detect a tune was ever put into your car as the CVN is all they look for. Here is the website to check your CVN's

calid.gm.com/‎

If you go back to dealer, put your stock tune back in and they should match up but you will need to more in depth tuning software of EFI live to verify the CVN's match. Some tuners (mine included) are able to modify the CVN's match GM's even on their aftermarket tune so when GM plugs into your car the CVN's match. If your CVN's match, GM will not be suspicious. There will be a date and time stamp that you accessed the computer but the CVN's will not change. I was told this is all the GM looks for and cannot identify an aftermarket tune if the CVN's match. Each time you go to the dealer for anything you need to be on the safe side and re download the stock tune into your tuner because if they plugged into the system for anything their system produces a new GM CVN. Not sure if this is the case or not, but it always seemed to work for me and my friends. I hope this helps and makes sense. let me know if you have any questions.
ntrimm is offline   Reply With Quote