View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
No way. The regular SS can take WAY more than the factory provides. With all the upgrades this supposed ZL1 has... it can take a 70 HP bump no sweat.

You can gain that on an SS with the full bolt ons and a tune and the car is perfectly happy. Stuff doesnt start breaking until you get insane... like doubling the HP to the 600+ mark to the tires... its easily done but you better have deep pockets.

My baseline was ~350 and I at 415 to the tires right now... so 65 rwhp bump and I havent broken anything (because of the power) and the car feels perfect.

They could pulley down the sc, retune the car and get 620/630 no problem. They would just have to reevaluate the longevity of the car. Things aren't simple in big business. Sure, you or I can soop up our cars no problem and if it only lasts 10,000 miles, thats on us... GM has to build these cars to last.

I suggest eveyone who had to be first just sit back and wait out the storm. I am sure the cars will get delivered soon enough. After the HP nut punt GM took, I HOPE that they wont let the GT500 hit the streets first.
Exactly. Yes they could tweak the engine, but you'd sacrifice durability. The ZL1 engine is the perfect balance of power and longevity. There's a reason that the ZL1's warranty INCLUDES tracking the car. GM stated that you could blow the motor at the track and they would replace it.