View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #41
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
The 1LE is a great bargain for what you get. But to say the 1LE will still outhandle a modded SS is wrong. Aside from the transmission and gears I have a setup on my SS that would likely outperform the stock 1LE in handling. The ONLY thing I need to change is to the newer sway bar setup and those aftermarket setups are still better than even the ZL1 stiffness.

Bigger axles, hubs are nice to have but not going to make you go faster or handle better. How much better the 3.93 will help on the track is still to be seen. Yeah, you'll take off great from a stop but I run in 3rd & 4th on the track. Is that trans/gear setup going to improve my times by a second or two, or fifteen seconds a lap?

If I could start over I would definitely buy a 1LE over an SS since I track. But I would probably do the same mods I did to my SS minus the wheels since the 1LE has the wider tires. Sounds like GM did a nice job on the 1LE, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.
I didn't say any modded SS, I said the mods the other person listed. Also there's more to be said than ultimate speed, there's durability and repeatability to consider which the cooler and bearings address. It's the difference between having a car made for on ramps and a car made for the track.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote