View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #91
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Why are so many assuming this is a Z28? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But to me, it just doesn't make sense for it to be produced by GM as a Z28. First, power. The closes approximation of this engine at GM is the turbo 4 from the Cobalt SS, which is also direct injected and has a high specific output. It makes 130 hp/L, scale that up to 3.6L and you are looking at about 470 hp. I can't see GM pushing power much higher than that because of reliability and emissions, which Jay Leno doesn't really have to worry about.

Second is weight. Doing an Z28 like this would possibly save around 75 lbs vs using a V8. Thats the approximate weight difference between the actual V6 engine and the LS3/L99. The rest of the weight difference between an SS and an LS/LT comes from beefing up the suspension and driveline, which would have to be more or less the same for any Z28.

So you end up with a ~3875 lb V6 car with 470 hp instead of a ~3950 lb car with a 550 hp V8 with the same suspension, transmission, etc. Which one will perform better, and which has more potential? Not to mention the cost of developing a new engine vs using an existing one.

A more rational explanation is that Jay thought it would be a cool idea to take a V6, add twin turbo, then throw on the lower fascia from Z28 renderings/TF2 bumble bee, and a hood reminiscent of 4th gen Z28s. And it really is a cool idea. The car looks nice, and that package should perform very well. Its a very interesting car, but Z28? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Don't overestimate Jays involvement and underestimate GM's engineering and design capabilities. He had no more involvement than the "disciples" had a few years back.
This is the third 1 off car that Jay has gotten GM to build for him, that I know of. There was the street legal C6R a couple years ago, more recently he got them to make a turbine powered car which was designed by Ed Welburn and had a bunch of Corvette parts, and now this. Wish I had the money and fame to do that ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote