View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
How does the Tremec 6 spd hold up compared to the old Muncie "Rock Crusher" 4 spd trans from the 60s and 70s factory hotrods? I was looking at old videos on Y.T. where they are literally slamming gears on the Muncie and supposedly they held up to the abuse. Can the Tremec take the punishment?
The Tremecs are way tougher than the old Muncies. I never had a "Rock Crusher", but the M20s and M21s were extremely weak. Myself and everyone that I knew, who hammered on them, used to blow them out on a regular basis. The aluminum case seemed to be their weakest link and since the M22s used the same case, I don't see how could have been much tougher. I'm a GM guy, through and through, but the Ford and Chrysler cast-iron 4-speeds of that era, were way stronger. GM also had the Saginaw cast-iron 4-speeds, but they were even weaker. I finally gave up on the Muncies and switched to a Turbo 400 and that was the end of my transmission troubles. The Turbo 400s were virtually indestructible. They were definitely the best transmissions of the muscle car era and one of the top three or four ever.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote