View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #246
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
No sir. It has nothing to do with power. It has everything to do with the relationship of front tire size to the rear tire size which is precisely why I asked the question. What the engineer said and what you heard were different. MATCHING the front and rear tire size delivers a balanced 5th Gen. That is why the 285s work and why the 305s work. So would 295s or 275s.

In a trans-axle car with 50/50 front to rear weight distribution and the same weight as a 5th Gen the same set up would work well. Take out 800 or a 1,00 pounds, add more RWHP and you'll find wider rear tires work well. In a nose heavy 5th Gen matching front and rear tire sizes are mission critical.

As far as asking an engineer at GM, has it occurred to you that we talk with GM guys all the time, but we respect their proprietary product knowledge and would never ask them a direct product question. It would be inappropriate for us to ask and may cost them their job if they were to answer. On the other had, were they to borrow any Pedders setup ideas we accept that as flattery

In 2008 when GM needed some critical pieces for the Grand Am Prototype 5th Gen they asked if Pedders could deliver. We did and the EP6577 full bush, EP6578 insert and EP6579 inserts are a direct result of that project.

In 2009 Pedders introduced the 305/30/19 all round wheel and tire fitment. In 2014 GM will debut the Z/28 with 305/30/19s all round.

In 2009 Pedders introduced the 27mm solid front sway bar. Gm ran hollow bars until the ZL1 came out with a 25mm front bar and then the 1LE with a 27mm front bar.

In 2009 Pedders introduced the CTS-V six pot front brake conversion on the 5th Gen. In 2012, the ZL1 was introduced with... wait for it.... 6 pot CTS-V front brakes.

Jay Leno's twin turbo 5th Gen is on Pedders coilovers, sub-frame inserts and toe link bushes. The on track INDY and NASCAR Camaro Pace Cars run on Pedders coilovers, inserts and sway bars.

We have done so much with the 5th Gen we wrote a Book on it so any member of Camaro 5 can setup their Camaro just like we do.

Pedders 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Suspension Evaluation

Foundational 5th Gen Required Upgrades

Lowering Coils and Coilovers

Trouble Free, OEM Quiet V6 Lowering

Sway Bars

Suspension Bushes

ZL1 / CTS-V Brake Upgrade for the SS

Wheels and Tires

Bush Timing, Alignment and Torque Specs

Pedders USA Camaro 2.0

Lingenfelter L/28 Tech

5th Gen Wheel Hop and Drag Race Setup

Thermal Management

Running Changes Made to the 5th Gen by Chevrolet

Public Track Test #1

Public Track Test #2 Camaro vs. Mustang Supercar Shootout

2013 Strut Mounts, Pedders Coilover Pre-Compression and Ride Height Settings

Caution: Test driving any Pedderised vehicle can be dangerous. Pedderised vehicles have been known to induce suspension envy and sleepless nights filled with longing. Before test-driving any Pedderised vehicle, check with your banking and accounting professionals. Pedderised vehicles are known to induce credit card bills and reduced bank balances. There is no antidote. Only genuine Pedders can cure Suspension Envy.
Pete,
By no means am I questioning your knowledge or abilities. The engineer made it clear, and I believe wholeheartedly that what you are calling balance, I am calling reduction / removal of the understear, which is what heavy Gen5 Camaros, and all preceding Camaro / Firebirds needed. They came up with a tire and wheel package that worked for the car. Would you not also agree that the heavier and more powerful ZL1 works better (is well balanced) with the tire / wheel combination that is on it, or do you also feel it would be better with the 1LE package? From your comments, I believe you feel it is set up right for its weight / HP combination.

And as far as asking engineer Al, I was joking. Lighten up!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote