View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL WON View Post
When you open up the exhaust, as in adding headers or free flow exhaust, you loose boost. That's why people with CTS-Vs and ZR1s are loosing power. You have to compensate by changing out the pulleys. What I typically see when I modify ZR1s or any other supercharged build I do, I see at the most a 2lb loss in boost by adding headers and exhaust. If this is done to the ZL1 that will put the car at 8lbs of boost. I run my ZR1 at 16lbs. Anything over that, you'll have to run race gas. On my Escalade and Denali GMC truck I run 10lbs of boost and use the LS9 camshaft. My plan for my ZL1 is to mimic what I did for my ZR1, which is CNC'd heads, cam, upper and lower pulley, headers, upgraded after cooler and heat exchanger, upgraded supercharger coolant pump, one stage colder spark plugs and a few other tricks. I'll also add a 10-rib belt conversion to the ZL1 as well to prevent any belt slippage. I'll have all this done in about two weeks after receiving the car, as soon as we get our baseline RWHP number. I'll put the entire build on Camaro5.
yeah the post I read was a two very similar cars and the hp #'s were pretty similar but the car with longtubes had less 2lb's of boost they had the same pulley kit as the car without longtubes. they bough the pulley kit then threw the headers on and dyno'd the car I don't think they relized there would be a boost loss.

As long as you deal with a place that understands you whole mod list I am sure this is a non issue.

I don't think I will go near as far as you are going. I would like to get the strait line speed back to the Z06 I am selling to buy this car though. My wife will get angry at me if my penis shrinks in size cause my new car is slower than my old car.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote