View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #146
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Just to answer your question, most European cars have the gas cap on the passenger side for two reasons. (most Japanese cars also have the gas cap on the passenger side in their domestic configuration)

1) If you run out of gas and stop on the side of the road, you can refill the tank safety on the curbside.

2) While pulling up to the pump, you won't have to worry about opening the door too far and hitting the island.

I personally don't care for those reasons too much, but I've noticed that most cars w/ the gas cap on the right side are higher-end cars (e.g. Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche). Naturally there are fewer of them on the road, so it's usually easier to find an available pump on the right side (assuming that all cars enter the station in the same direction).
Never thought of those reasons before, but those are really good. Personally, doesn't matter either way to me. Both have their pros and cons I suppose.

Oh, and as far as being confused about what side it is on, I am very thankful GM has taken the simple step of including an arrow on the gas gauge to help you out. Coming back from England and driving my car for the first time in months, I actually forgot for a moment and the arrow helped. Thanks GM for doing something everyone should do just out of common sense.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote