View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Would you guys be happier with stock rotors and pads for street and Cobalt Friction pads for track days or CTS-V stock rotors and pads for street and track? I am planning on upgrading to CTS-V pads when my 1LE comes in but it is stretching what I'm willing to spend on brakes. Both options will cost me close to the exact same amount of money.

I will definitely run a few autoX and a few PDX events, one at Daytona and possibly 2 at Sebring (1 club & 1 full course). My local track PBIR may start a new program for cheap track time once a month.

I ran Hawk HP+ with RB rotors, braided lines at Daytona no problems. At the Sebring Club course I was fine for 119 minutes and 57 seconds of the (4) 20 minute sessions. Literally the brakes went on me as I was pulling off the track, the club course ends with a big stop from 120mph to a sharp hairpin turn. Too noisy for me on the street though, they never stopped squealing and screeching.
What happened when your brakes went? Did you boil the fluid and got a soft pedal, or did you overheat the pads and got a hard pedal? I tracked Corvettes at Ron Fellows school and boiled the fluid on three seperate sessions in the Grand Sports. Yikes, pedal to the floor but no stopping! Scary. The ZR1 CCBs and Z06 steel brakes were awesome. The Z06s ran Hawk HP+, the school has had excellent luck with them. They are in the process of converting all the Grand Sports and Z06s to HP+ pads.

I ran HP+ pads, stock rotors, Motul 600 fluid and stainless lines in my Camaro last weekend at Buttonwillow. Stopped fantastic, rotors are healthy. I'm hard on brakes, I was running 2:02's and 2:03's in the advanced group which is fairly quick for that track. The HP+ pads will last me 4 track days. I'm going to use them again. They have excellent cold bite and have not made any noise on the street yet. When I run Laguna Seca, I may step up to a more aggressive track pad. But so far the HP+ pads have been an excellent choice.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 10-23-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote