View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
L99 AFM -- It's REALLY a tough choice, for some. Step Inside.

Soooo....with the L99 we get an "Eco" engine thats only rated about -20 HP over the regular LS3. And, we get an auto with "optimized" shift points that BEATS that same engine by a 10/th or so in 1/4 mile times. And, we will get BETTER economy for those that will drive it daily, and not look for the next "Stang to beat." : -p

For those that ALREADY drive an auto --- would you be willing to learn a manual, and get that extra 20 HP, and be more open to the modifications that can take it to 500+ HP?

Yes, the manual is more "fun," and it takes a steady discipline to get the rev-matches and "short-shifting" right. And, the manual LS3 WILL eventually beat the "projected" automatic times in the end, with a great driver.

But until then, if the PRICE is equal, or LESS than the LS3 manual, is it worth getting the "guzzler" over the "green V8?"

I am sincerely torn over the options Chevy have given me.

I guess it boils down to: Can the L99 be modified, while retaining the AFM features, to meet the LS3 mods?

I've been saying for a long time - that while I'd prefer to finally own and learn a stick - if the auto can hang with the "mods," why bother with a stick???????

Please, let's not get into a "automatic is for poozies" discussion -- I've been there. Let's discuss the fuel savings, the performance, and the "mod-friendly" factors.

I'm still leaning towards the manual LS3. But, I need some discussion that legitimately talks me OUT of the L99 Auto.

What do you die-hard gear-heads have to say? :seesaw:

Last edited by 2KZ28_For_Now; 08-03-2008 at 03:26 AM.
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote