View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #428
SilverSurfer21

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Sorry -- been tied up and have not been able to read thru this thread -- but wanted to respond when I can.

Yup -- watched Lopez myself and you are right.

On the other hand - no - I'm not quiet and I'm outspoken and I have been outspoken at GM for 36 years.
Did it affect promotions? I'm sure it probably did at one time or another.......that's human nature and it happens in most, if not all big companies.

A 'lil story:

One day in 2001 I was driving to the office very early in the morning - (I even remember the car - a Bright Rally Red Camaro SS - )

......and WWJ radio suddenly was reporting that Bob Lutz was coming back to General Motors. (he'd worked for GM for a time in the early 60s...)

I'm not kidding - I very nearly pulled off the road and did backflips!

I think he's a genius. I don't agree with everything he says, but in the grand scheme of the Automobile Industry? I'd put him in the top ten people of all time..........

A week later I sent him an email along the lines of:

"...DELIGHTED that you're back at GM -- and I can hardly wait to see what you have in mind....... "

......yada yada yada..............

".......and I hope I'll never again have to apologize for the passion I have for our products.........."

Fast forward to three weeks later:

I'm in a hotel room in Las Vegas at a Press event - it's like 1am (4am Detroit time) - and I hear a 'bing!' as another email hits my inbox.......

Hmmmmm......wonder who that migh-----...BOB LUTZ!!!!! WHOA!....

The note was pure Bob........

...".....been a bit busy getting settled with Product Planning and Engineering.........wanted to get back to you..".

...yada yada yada........

"........don't you ever apologize for Passion....because without passion, we cannot have the greatest products and without the greatest products we cannot win..........and I don't plan on losing!.."

That's what I loved about him......passion - AND....the ability to listen to those of us who are (as Peter DeLorenzo calls us) "The True Believers"......far down the ladder, so to speak.........

Perhaps I was lucky - I got "invited back" over the years......I also made some enemies, but on the other hand, I wasn't running for Mayor.

...and it also helped that I didn't have children that I had to worry about sending to college......

Anyway - glad you're here - and I hope you'll see the car in person and perhaps that it'll grow on you!

Thanks Scott, I appreciate it. That was a good story too. I really like Bub Lutz and yes, he was a car genius. Loved his passion too.

I really appreciate your efforts too. Sorry for my giving you grief on the taillights. I will go and see the car in person. Right now I am about to take delivery of a GM company owned vehicle. A 2013 Camaro 2LT at a substantial savings. I will drive it a year and see what comes up next year. If their is another one available...who knows...If I decide that I can tolerate the lights and the deal is good??? My 2013 will still be new enough to hold out for the 2016 if I am not motivated enough to do a 2014 or 2015.

Take care,
SilverSurfer21
SilverSurfer21 is offline   Reply With Quote