View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #21
besherman

Drives: 2008 GMC Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
I'd say the money they "blew" by mortgaging the farm is paying off nicely.

And you're right, "most" people aren't going to buy them, only hard-core car enthusiasts. Those types love this car to death. This sub-forum wouldn't even exist if there wasn't interest in this type of car.

A fully loaded GT comes in right around the same price as a Boss. You trade luxury for performance. Makes perfect sense to me, it just depends on what your priorities are; performance or luxury. Ford gives you that choice with the Mustang. Chevy has the Corvette, but it's out of reach to the average joe.

From a business perspective, Ford's management has been superb---starting with Bill Ford's gutsy and selfless leadership. He was the guy who bet the farm buy borrowing all that cash in 2006-7 that allowed Ford to survive the 2008 collapse while---at the same time--investing in future product. He was also the guy who recruited Mullally and voluntarily stepped aside to give him full reign.

Think about this: If there was no GT500 would there still be a ZL1? If there was no Boss would there even be a prayer for a Z28?

Regarding the Corvette, money is not the only issue. The Vette and Camaro appeal to different audiences. For example, I am blessed enough to be able to afford a ZR1 for cash without breaking a sweat. While I marvel at its capabilities, it just doesn't do much for me emotionally. But a ZL1 convertible is the car I will buy without hesitation---and keep it forever.

I just have never really believed that the Corvette competes in the marketplace with either the Camaro or Mustang.

Bruce
besherman is offline   Reply With Quote