View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Hey Robert... In my case since I do not really track my car, or race I am mainly looking to increase low end take off without sacrificing top end power.

The fasterest I have ever had my car was 132 mph on a controlled roadway, but I would never want to change a gear and run around town and it sound like I am going 300 mph because the rpms are so high.

What do you think about that? Remember I have only 463 rwhp.
Bearing in mind your goals, I think I have to agree with Steeleshark...

While they are not ideal for your potential trap speeds in the quarter, and knowing you want a more aggressive launch capability in various situations, I would probably opt for something in the 3.73- 3.93 range...

You wont reach the top of your RPM range in 4th gear, but you will still have a more aggressive launch... Danhr did a really good write up about this very subject...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95142

If you scroll down to the manual transmission section it factors in your gear ratio from the transmission and gives speeds for various gears at the FACTORY redline...

At the bottom of each gear ratio, there is a cruising RPM at different speeds... So, if you cruise at 70 mph, it'll tell you what rpm your running at... same for 60 and 80 as well...

If you feel it will trap at 120 mph, then ideally for your car a 4.33 may be perfect... but as you said, this is not a regularly tracked car and street driveability is important... I would stay away from that short a gear... One other thing to think about with short gears, 4.11's, 4.10's, etc, is traction... At the track, you can run really sticky tires and be ok, but on the street... not so much....

I can freely spin and smoke my tires at any speed or gear up to 110 mph and 4th gear... Haven't tried any higher speeds than that, but at 110, the car goes about 15 degrees to the right in the back... so, you can imagine 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much worthless on the street... I need some Speedster Tubs and 355 rear tires... and taller gears...

and 463 RWHP is huge considering not too many years ago 350 RWHP was almost unheard of in Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs etc...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote