View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Formula for Badassery: The_Blur's 2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula NHRA Special Edition

Situation
I can afford a Camaro, but I can afford a better one after I pay off my college loans. In the meantime, I'm going to play with my Firebird using the suggestions of my peers and the plethora of cheap F-body parts on the market.

The Firebird needs some work. It wobbles at high speeds, and my guess is that the wheels are out of balance or possibly damaged. The driver side headlight grinds due to a stripped gear, which would be an easy fix if I had any tools.

Mission
Let's make this beast fast. Appearance is less important than performance for this vehicle, so all parts initially installed have to contribute to reduced ETs and faster 1/4s.

Obviously, my Firebird needs some performance and cosmetic improvement. The following is necessary:
  • WS6 or similar hood
  • extensive suspension work
  • tune that will work anywhere I can be stationed

Execution
I know that several of these parts or similar ones and more are available used. Please help me find them!

Here's the plan.
  • Founders Performance Strut Tower Brace $46.85
  • Founders Performance LCA Relocation Brackets $47.25
  • Founders Performance Non-Adjustable Panhard Bar & LCA Kit $120.20
  • Founders Performance Weld-In Subframe Connectors $108.62
  • Flowmaster muffler mated to custom exhaust at Top Gun Performance Muffler $380.01
  • bright lights everywhere, preferably LED
  • Eibach Pro-Plus Kit Lowering Kit (incl. 35mm rear & 25mm front sways and 1.5" drop) $485.00 from TireRack
  • Corvette-style LS1 manifolds or aftermarket headers
  • EGR delete and tune update (incl. approx. 15# weight reduction) $0

I will require the assistance of people with more wrench time than me. I'm not the most experienced mechanic, and I wouldn't mind a few buddies joining me to participate in as much of this build as possible.

Administration
When I do get a spectacular deal with a company or shop, I will advertise them here. I will only do my work at reputable shops and with companies I trust. The prices to beat are posted publicly besides the parts I've listed. If I get a special deal, I won't advertise it unless the company allows me to do so.

The goal is to get most of this work done before the next C5F in hopes of attending and winning against people who can't drive their clearly superior Camaros.

Command
The goal is to complete the entire build before I change commands. I will be stationed as a Student Naval Aviator in Pensacola for up to 2 years.
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 08-19-2013 at 11:46 PM.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote