View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
LOL, you do know that Japan suffered a devastating earthquake last spring that nearly destroyed the sales of every Japanese car made. Japan is just now starting to refill their stock.. For reference on great monthly sales, look at GMs entire lineup and you will see that 15,000-21,000 a month is the benchmark for a strong selling car. 7000 a month for a somewhat still new product is alarming.

Not being negative, just being real.. The wall street journal released a article the other day that had the Mustang as #3 in a list of cars that Americans don't drive anymore. They quoted the Mustang as selling 94,000 cars a year. This number of course is from 2008 but if 94,000 is considered bad after 5 model years (and it is), we have to give a realistic look at where the entire pony car market stands right now. Dodge very well may be discontinuing the Challenger in a few years and Ford has to redesign the Mustang soon or they will not make it very long. Do you know why the Camaro didn't make the list? Nobody was buying them in the first place.

All Chevrolet needs to do is sustain sales for 2 more years until Ford can refresh the market and give them something to go off of. If the Camaro fails, so does the Mustang....
Ok, I hear charts work good for people that are bad with grasping the bigger picture... Since the Camaro is not what you'd consider the car that a person is buying for its practical sense, I'd argue that the market with the most cross shopping would be the entry level luxury market as the Camaro is bought for its image and performance and same goes for the luxury brands... There is only one car in all of these brands that sold in higher volume than the Camaro in August...

ok, I was just kidding, that wasn't the best comparison I could come up with.

Strange that the Camaro outsold EVERY car on this chart... The one that probably has the most cross-shopping and is fighting for the same market. It is even more obvious when you compare the Mustang and Challenger to the competition as well... So how dead is the pony car again?