View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Let me start by saying that I've been hesitant for a long time about purchasing a cat-back. I helped my dad modify his 2000 FRC C5 back in the day and we went with a name-brand exhaust that we were super pumped about... It droned horribly, and it made me hesitate to do anything to my stock exhaust, which, while a bit quieter than I wanted at cruise, still sounded good.

I've got a CAI intake, Kooks LTs and high-flow cats, and I love the sound. It was menacing at WOT, but quiet at cruise (maybe a bit too quiet). However, two things got me interested in changing:

1) The stock mufflers are ugly and heavy, and
2) I'd already replaced my factory exhaust (under warrany) due to the dreaded baffle buzz once and feared it was coming back again.

I came across a deal from a member here on a basically new-in-box Solo Mach XL that I was very tempted by. After reading about the system, the thing that excited me the most was that it was advertised as having no drone. I was hesitant, but after reading reviews for several weeks (and getting a permission slip from the wife) I decided to take the plunge.

My buddy and I installed it last night with some pizza and beer, took our time and had it on in a little over two hours. The fitment is excellent, the quality is impeccable and the sound is unbelievable. On cold start, the thing could wake the dead... but it calms down after about 30 seconds and is fairly quiet for cruising unless you've got your foot into it. It's a bit louder than stock, but not obnoxiously so and you can still have a conversation in the cabin.

As far as the sound with your foot into it, it's pure s3x. If you imagine the unholy offspring of a dragon and a banshee singing death-metal, that's basically what it sounds like. Oh, and that 'cackle' that I got with the stock exhaust when it would occasionaly pop during decel? Yeah, that's louder and a little more frequent.

I've been told that the system will only sound better as time goes on... but it's been a great solution for me that will keep my neighbors (and LEOs) happy, but that's a little louder than stock (and definitely more muscular). Not to mention, I got rid of those ugly trash-cans out back.

So, that's all I've got. I'll try and post a video later if I can, but I'm at work right now. More to come.

Oh, PS: I did start my car with the factory cat-back off and open headers. I think I peed a little. Have a video of that as well. For anyone who is installing a new exhaust, this is mandatory to do it just so you can hear what it sounds like with no restrictions

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote