View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #47
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sorry, but 350 to 400 pounds is wayyyyyyy too much. All of the things you listed, including making it a 2 passnger car (cough Corvette, cough, cough) would save maybe 150 pounds.

To get where you would like to go involves light weight and exotic materials. I know this from my work on the Z06 where we got an aluminum structure, carbon fiber fender outers, carbon fiber floor panels, carbon fiber fendes and we saved all of .................drum roll please.................165 pounds. And almost all of my guys work was off set by larger wheels and tires, LS7 with remote oil reservoir and Big Ginormous Brakes.

It's just not feasible to get that much weight out without adding a big, humungous pile of cash. And you know what that translates into on the sticker of a low volume car (no rear seats means ultra low volume as you are really now talking a Corvette) don't you????

150 pound diet works for me.

Corvette > Camaro in every aspect except passenger volume. Dropping the rear seat in a "track Pack" car shouldn't have any impact on the Corvette. Keeping the production numbers down would ensure that.

With the ZL1 having MR suspension, SC'd, larger tires, etc the weight is going the wrong direction. There has to be something that can be done on this platform that can reduce some weight. Going with the smaller 5.5L DI V8 will help, but it can't end there.

CF isn't always the way to go with weight savings in mind. I know the RK Sport OEM style CF hood had zero weight difference compared to the factory SS hood. The thin aluminum that is used on the body panels isn't that heavy.

Now if they could do something to cut the weight down in the doors.... It's all nice in theory, but I'm sure if it is ever made it will be bad azz anyway.